Monday, February 15, 2016

ArtFelting!


I've finally been able to play with this fabulous medium!

I decided to try a large piece....I want to do a life size zebra.  So I created this "skin" out of ArtFelt ....

 Millsy had to join in the fun!  Can you see her?

 I had no room to dunk the piece in water so I went outside on the back porch....I know now that Artfelt freezes and sticks to surfaces.....always handy to know in the future:)
 Soaked it down and wrapped it up in plastic

 Rolled up the legs first and then rolled up the body....




It was HEAVY!!!  I had to surround it with loads of towels to keep it from banging the dryer to bits during the cycle!
Below is the piece after I put it in the dryer three times for 10 minutes each time.
After drying it, I unrolled it and rerolled it in another direction.  The final time, I took the surrounding plastic off and left it loose in the outer plastic bag.....In hindsight, I think I went too far this final drying time.  It shrank quite a bit.
I've put the beginning of the felting process beside it so you can see how much it shrinks....it really does shrink alot!
Next time I think I'll make different sections of the zebra and sew them together....this guy may just become a wool carpet!

No comments: