Sunday, June 22, 2008

Finding old work

I've been clearing out the garage for the past couple weeks...preparing to move to Toronto and generally having a good rubbish removal. It's incredibly satisfying to lose the junk....every year a bunch of stuff I couldn't previously get rid of gets delegated to family or Goodwill or the dump.
While I was reorganising, I found this old piece I worked on 4 or 5 years ago. I never knew what to do with it..so it went to the garage. (When something goes to the garage...it's pretty likely to remain there, in obscurity for a number of years) I got my Mom to hold it up for me to try to get a feel for which direction I could take it in...It's alot taller then she is!


Lately I've been playing with hand stitching on my feltwork..(as seen below with a detail of my piece "Flow")...and it just seems to make sense to continue on with this piece. I think I'll do a complementary colour on the animal's bodies just to see how it works as a whole. Way back when, I did a free motion stitch all over the creamy white of the background...I think adding some handstitching to the animals will make them pop. When I started this piece I never considered doing a hand stitch element to it...amazing how things grow and flourish with new experience.
I've been itching to get back in to felting/sewing/anything to do with my hands and I think this project will keep me busy for a while!
Til next time,
Wendo

No comments: