Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Jack Pine Continued.....

Now that I have a drawing or pattern to go by, I can use it as a reference only or I can trace it on to the craft felt I'm using for the back ground.
I used a varigated corriedale pencil roving...ranging from shades of pale blue to navy to teal....needle felting it on to a white piece of craft felt. This piece is 5" by 7". I made sure some of the darker bits of fibre showed in the sky and some of the more turquoise is down below where the jack pine will be. I left the edges clear so that when I frame the piece I won't be losing any needle felted detail around the edges. I then created a horizon of small hills using a teal fibre made of 30%Mohair and 70% merino...(this is an excellent fibre for needle felting...it's very 'flubby' and chunky..not combed out as much as the corriedale I use). Never create the horizon line in the centre of the piece..locating it below centre creates more drama.

I anchored the hills by needle felting a bit of black where the hills meet the water. I added rocks...needle felting them on only around the edges so they remain 3 dimensional and 'rock like'! I've established that the 'sun' is coming from the left so I put darker grey and black on the right sides of the rocks to give them depth.


I placed the tree off centre to add interest to the piece.


More next time....

No comments: